|Packaging Type||As Requirement|
|Botanical Name||Withania Somnifera|
|Drying Process||Sun Dried|
An adaptogenic herb helps the body to resist physiological and psychological stress by adapting to the needs of the body.
Ayurveda has been using Ashwagandha for 3000 years. Its rejuvenating powder, anti-stress, anti-fatigue, tonic to the nervous system and general debility, nourishes both mind and body for it is said to bestow upon its user the vitality and strength of a horse.
The name Ashwagandha is from the Sanskrit language and is a combination of the word ‘ashva’, meaning horse, and ‘gandha’, meaning smell. The root has a strong aroma that is described as “horse-like”.
Ashwagandha can be used to treat Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Huntington's and other neurodegenerative diseases at any stage of the disease, even before a person has been diagnosed and is still in the state of mild forgetfulness, etc. Its extract did not work directly on the brain. Instead, it enhanced a protein in the liver that is broken down and released into the blood to act as a sink for the amyloid and helps pull out the amyloid from the brain.
KEY APPLICATION: Insomnia, tuberculosis, bronchitis, asthma, hiccups, thyroid, joints inflammation, ulcer, cancer, strengthen heart muscles and cholesterol, leucoderma, fibromyalgia, menstrual problems, arthritis, diabetes, reduce blood pressure, reduce the side effects of chemotherapy, boost immunity
PLANT FAMILY: Solanaceae
BOTANICAL NAME: Withania Somnifera
VERNACULAR NAMES: Indian Ginseng, Poison Gooseberry, Winter cherry, Asgandha, Aksand, Asvagandha, Aasun, Angara Beru, Penneru, Amukkuram, Askanda, Asgandh, Amukkira
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION & NUTRIENTS ANALYSIS OF ROOT
The root is composed of 13 alkaloids are known as Isopelletierine, Anaferine, Cuseohygrine, Anahygrine, Tropine, etc. it has somniferin and steroidal Lactones as Withanolides, Withanoferins. Saponins, resin, phytosterol, Ipuranol and a mixture of saturated and unsaturated acids.
Nutrients proximate analysis per 100gm- Protein (g)3.9, fat (g) 0.3, crude fibre (g) 32.3, energy (g) 245, carbohydrate (g) 49.9, iron (g) 3.3, calcium (g) 23, total carotene (g) 75.7 & vitamin C (g) 3.7
The understanding of medicinal properties will help us utilize the herb better. Below are medicinal properties along with its meaning indicating multiple health benefits:
· Aphrodisiac- Stimulate sexual desire.
· Antioxidant- Neutralize the oxidant effect of free radicals.
· Adaptogen- Help the body adapt to stress whether physical, chemical or biological.
· Anti-inflammatory- Reduce redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, heat...
· Anti-tumour- Prevent or inhibit the formation or growth of tumours.
· Anti-diabetic- Used to Control the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood.
· Anti-asthmatics- Treat or prevent asthma attacks.
· Anti-convulsant- Used to prevent or reduce the severity of epileptic fits or other convulsions.
· Diuretic- An agent that increases the flow and volume of urine.
· Immuno-modulatory- Used to regulate and normalize the immune system.
· Excellent Nerve Tonic- Act on or relive disorders of the nerves, sooth and strengthen the nerves.
· Sedative- Provide a soothing or calming effect or inducing sleep.
· Spermatogenic- Help in the process of sperm production which occurs in the testes.
· Tonic-Invigorate or strengthen the system of the body, boost energy, and improve overall health and longevity.
· Improve musculoskeletal problems such as Arthritis & Rheumatism.
Rasa (Taste): Tikta (Bitter), Katu (Pungent), Kashaya (Astringent)
Guna (Quality): Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous or oily)
Virya (Potency): Ushna (Heating)
Vipaka (taste conversion after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
Effects on doshas (Humors): Balances all doshas especially pacifies Vata & Kapha doshas
The root powder is be taken in a dose of 3-6 grams
(Please note that the exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power, nature of the illness, the state of the viscera, humors and disorders.)
The information provided is for educational purposes only. This data is not to be considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.