|Packaging Type||As Requirement|
|Botanical Name||Glycyrrhiza Glabra|
|Drying Process||Sun dried|
Preferred Buyer From
|Location||Anywhere in India|
Licorice roots have been used worldwide as medicine and flavor in the industry for over 4000 years. Medicinal uses of licorice are recorded in texts such as Charaka Samhita, Assyrian Herbal (2000 BC) and Ebers Papyrus (1600 BC). The word liquorice essentially derives from Old Greek glykyrrhiza, glykys means “sweet,” and rhiza is “root”
The main beneficial effects of Mulethi (Yashtimadhu) are on the digestive system and respiratory system. It helps in relieving gastric symptoms such as heartburn, burning sensation in the abdomen, peptic and duodenal ulcer, abdominal colic, GERD and chronic gastritis.
KEY APPLICATION: Allergic rhinitis, arthritis, acidity, bursitis, fibromyalgia, gout, chronic gastritis, constipation, depression, emotional stress, memory loss, duodenal ulcer, ulcerative colitis, peptic ulcer, gingivitis, Heartburn, indigestion, mouth ulcer, tooth decay, hepatitis and inflammation of gallbladder, high cholesterol level, baldness, eczema, psoriasis, canker sores, cough, asthma, bronchitis,
PLANT FAMILY: Fabaceae
BOTANICAL NAME: Glycyrrhiza Glabra
VERNACULAR NAMES: Sweetwood, Liquorice, Licorice, Yashtimadhuka, Jesthimadhu, Jethimadha, Madhuka, Multhi, Erattimadhuram, Jatimadhu, Athimadhuram, Atimadhuram
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF ROOT
The medicinal property of mulethi is mainly because of the presence of powerful phytochemicals namely flavonoids, chalcones & saponins. Glycyrrhizin is a popular saponin that is responsible for the sweet taste (50 time sweeter than sugar). Liquiritin, licoﬂavonol, liquiritigenin, etc are the common chalcones that provide the distinct yellowish colour to mulethi.
The understanding of medicinal properties will help us utilize the herb better. Below are medicinal properties along with its meaning indicating multiple health benefits:
· Aphrodisiac – Stimulate sexual desire.
· Anti-allergic- Tend to relieve or control allergic symptoms.
· Anti-tussive- Used to prevent or relieve a cough.
· Antispasmodic- Help reduce spasms and relieve pain.
· Anti-inflammatory- Reduces redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, heat...
· Antiseptic- Destruct microorganism that produces septic diseases.
· Antioxidant- Protect body cells from damage caused by the oxidative effects of free radicals.
· Antimicrobial-Destroy or inhibit the growth of microorganisms and especially pathogenic microorganisms.
· Antidepressant- Diminish or reduce nervous or functional activity.
· Anti-asthmatic- - Treat or prevent Asthma attacks.
· Antacid- Prevent, neutralize, or counteract the acidity of the stomach.
· Anti-arthritis- Chronic inflammation of joints, accompanied by pain & structural changes.
· Anti-stress- Relive mental, emotional or physical strain or tension.
· Anti-ulcerogenic- Prevent the formation of ulcers.
· Demulcent- Relieve irritation of the mucous membranes in the mouth by forming a protective film.
· Expectorant- Promote the secretion, liquefaction or expulsion of sputum from the respiratory tract.
· Emollient- An agent that softens or soothes the skin.
· Immuno-modulatory- Adjust or tone down or regulate the immune system.
· Laxative- Tend to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
· Mild Estrogenic-Steroid hormones produced primarily by the ovaries that stimulate the development and maintenance of female sex characteristics & systemic effects.
· Pectoral (Moderate) - Strengthen chest muscle.
· Hepatoprotective: Prevent damage to the liver.
Rasa (Taste) – Madhura (sweet)
Guna (Qualities) - Guru (heavy) & Snigdha (unctuous or oily)
Virya (Potency) – Sheeta (cold potency)
Vipaka (Post digestive effect) – Madhura (sweet)
Effect on tridosha (Humors) - Pacifies vata and pitta
1-4gm in dry powder form
(Please note that the exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power, nature of the illness, the state of the viscera, humors and disorders.)
The information provided is for educational purposes only. This data is not to be considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.