Prolactin is a hormone released by the pituitary gland which is considered to be the cause for erection failure in men. The beans of Kaunch are known to release L-dopa which combines with dopamine to restrict the release of prolactin hormone by the pituitary glands. Oral intake of Kaunch seed powder helps in promoting fertility and improves erection.
Treats leucorrhoea (vaginal discharge), menorrhagia (excessive menstrual bleeding) and spermatorrhoea (involuntary ejaculation) which are all signs of leakage of Jing/Ojas, which is the foundational essence of health.
KEY APPLICATION: Uterine stimulant, parkinson’s disease, mood disorders, anxiety, low testosterone in men, erectile dysfunction, impotence, oligospermia, physical weakness, useful in neurological disorder, nervine tonic
PLANT FAMILY: Fabaceae
BOTANICAL NAME: Mucuna Pruriens
VERNACULAR NAMES: Cowhage, Velvet Bean, Cow-itch, Buffalo bean, Kapikacchu, alkusi, makhmali sem, alkushi, cigu, kuncha, atmagupta, Kiwach, kawanch, Khaj-kuiri, Naikurana, Pilliadugu, Nayisonanguballi, Akolchi, Punaippidukkan, Poonaikkaali, Nausukunni , Khajkuhilee, Baikhujnee, Tatgajuli, Kawach, Doolagondi, Duradagondi
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF SEED
The main constituent of Mucuna pruriens seeds is L-dopa or Levadopa which acts as natural dopamine.
The seeds of velvet bean are high in protein (20-29 %), lipids (6-7%), dietary fiber (8-10%), ash (3%), carbohydrates (50-60%) and minerals. Also, they are extremely rich in alkaloids (mucunine, mucunadine, mucuadinine, pruriendine and nicotine, besides B-sitosterol, glutathione, lecithin, oils, venolic and gallic acids), saponins, and sterols.
The hairs of the seed pods contain the phytochemical mucunain, the very constituent that irritates the skin when in contact.
The understanding of medicinal properties will help us utilize the herb better. Below are medicinal properties along with its meaning indicating multiple health benefits:
· Aphrodisiac- Stimulate sexual desire
· Anabolic- Help in building up metabolism.
· Analgesic- Relieve pain
· Androgenic- Increase testosterone level in men.
· Anti-Parkinson’s- Used to manage Parkinson’s disease.
· Antilithic- Prevent or eliminate kidney stones.
· Anti-parasite- Used to kill, repel, or remove parasites.
· Anti-inflammatory- Reduce inflammation
· Carminative- Cause expulsion of gas from the stomach or bowel.
· Febrifuge- Reduce fever
· Hypochlesterolemic- Prevent the abnormal deficiency of cholesterol in the blood.
· Anti-hypertensive- Lower high blood pressure
· Anti-hyperglycemic- Lower blood sugar
· Nervine- Act on or relieve disorders of the nerves; soothing the nerves.
· Neurasthenic- Manage nerve debility and exhaustion.
· Spermatogenic – Treat oligospermia (low count)
· Vermifuge- Destructive to parasitic worms/ several different intestinal worms.
Rasa (Taste) – Madhura (Sweet), Tikta (Bitter)
Guna (Qualities) – Guru (Heavy), Snigdha (Unctuous or oily)
Virya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot potency)
Vipaka (Post digestive effect) – Madhura (Sweet)
Effect on tridosha (Humors)- Balances all three doshas (vata, pitta & kapha)
3-6 gm in powder form
(Please note that the exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power, nature of the illness, the state of the viscera, humors and disorders.)
The information provided is for educational purposes only. This data is not to be considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.
Hi! Simply click below and type your query.
Our experts will reply you very soon.