Hi! Simply click below and type your query.
Our experts will reply you very soon.
Akarkara roots are widely used because of its pungent efficacy in relieving toothache and in promoting a free flow of saliva, Child apraxia of speech (CAS) and delayed speech development.
It is used in Ayurvedic, Unani and in herbal medicine worldwide in premature ejaculation and impotency in males, toothache and pyorrhoea. It has libido stimulant and aphrodisiac (Vajikaran Rasayana) properties to treat male sexual dysfunction, including infertility.
When a piece of root is chewed for a few seconds, it gives a persistent pungent taste, a tingling sensation and a remarkable flow of saliva; there is a feeling of heat in the mouth soon followed by a pricking sensation in the tongue and lips.
KEY APPLICATION: Brain tonic, muscle relaxant, digestive stimulant, swelling and pain in gums, common cold, epilepsy and seizures
PLANT FAMILY: Asteraceae
BOTANICAL NAME: Anacyclus Pyrethrum
VERNACULAR NAMES: Pellitory, Mount Atlas, Akalkara, Akkorakaro, Akkalakara, Akkirkaram, Akkarakaaram, Akarkarabh, Kulekhara, Akikaruka, Aqaraqarha, Kalu
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF ROOT
The root contains alkaloids like pyrethrin, anacyclin, pellitorine, and inulin. Resin and some inorganic compounds are also present.
The understanding of medicinal properties will help us utilize the herb better. Below are medicinal properties along with its meaning indicating multiple health benefits:
· Acrid- Bitter or pungent.
· Aphrodisiac- Stimulate sexual desire.
· Antiseptic- Destruct microorganism that produces septic diseases.
· Analgesic- Relieve pain
· Androgen- Promote the development of secondary male sexual organs & sexual characteristics.
· Anti-amnesiac- Treats a deficit in memory due to brain damage, disease, or psychological trauma.
· Anti-convulsant- Used to prevent or reduce the severity of epileptic fits or other convulsions.
· Antipyretic- Reduce fever
· Antioxidant- Neutralize the oxidation effect of free radicals.
· Adaptogen- Help the body adapt to stress whether physical, chemical or biological.
· Anti-inflammatory- Reduce redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, heat etc.
· Carminative- Cause expulsion of gas from the stomach or bowel.
· Diuretic- Increase the flow and volume of urine.
· Expectorant- Promote the secretion, liquefaction or expulsion of sputum from the respiratory tract.
· Spermatogenic- Help in the process of sperm production which occurs in the testes.
Rasa (Taste): Katu (Pungent)
Guna (qualities): Ruksha (Dry), Tikshna (Sharp in action)
Virya (Potency): Ushna (Hot)
Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Katu (Pungent)
Effects on Doshas (Humors): Akarkara pacifies Kapha and Vata Doshas; so it can be used effectively in diseases of Kapha and Vata origin
Akarkara root powder, dosage variable from 125mg to as high as 1 gm.
(Please note that the exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power, nature of the illness, the state of the viscera, humors and disorders.)
The information provided is for educational purposes only. This data is not to be considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate.