|Botanical Name||Centella Asiatica|
|Form||Leaves & Stem|
|Drying Process||Sun Dried|
It is the one “miracle elixirs of life” known over 2000 years ago. Its leaves have shape and appearance like webbed feet of a frog (Mandook= frog, and Parni=leaf).
Mandukparni is used in Ayurveda as is Medhya Rasayana (psychotropic drugs) and works on the mind for the improvement of intellect. The intake of herb overcomes mental confusion, stress, fatigue and supports better thinking.
It supports and improves all aspects of mental functioning, including comprehension (Dhi), memory (Dhriti) and recollection (Smriti).
KEY APPLICATION: leprosy, lupus, varicose ulcers, eczema, psoriasis, diarrhoea, fever, amenorrhea, diseases of the female genitourinary tract, relieve anxiety, improve memory & cognition, brain tonic, overcoming mental confusion, accelerate healing of chronic post-surgical and post-trauma wounds; treat second and third-degree burns, pain occurring in varicose veins.
PLANT FAMILY: Apiaceae
BOTANICAL NAME: Centella Asiatica
VERNACULAR NAMES: Indian Pennywort, Gotu kola, Mandukparni, Jal Brahmi, Jholkhuri, Khodabrahmi, Ondelaga, Kodangal, Vallarai, Brahma-Manduuki
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF LEAF
Triterpenoid saponins—brahmoside, asiaticoside, thankuniside; alkaloids (hydrocotyline); bitter principles (vellarin).
The understanding of medicinal properties will help us utilize the herb better. Below are medicinal properties along with its meaning indicating multiple health benefits:
· Adaptogen- Help the body adapt to stress whether physical, chemical or biological.
· Anti-depressant- Tend to relieve or prevent depression.
· Nervine- Central nervous system relaxant.
· Sedative- Provides soothing or calming effect or inducing sleep.
· Antibiotic- Inhibit the growth of or destroy microorganisms.
· Detoxifier- Used to remove harmful chemicals from the body.
· Depurative- Purifying agent/ blood-purifier.
· Laxative- Tend to stimulate or facilitate the evacuation of the bowels.
· Diuretic- An agent that increases flow and volume of urine.
· Emmenagogue- Stimulate blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus, stimulate menstruation.
· Tranquilizer- Reduce tension or anxiety.
Rasa (Taste) – Kasaya (Astringent), Madhura (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter)
Guna (Qualities) - Laghu (Light), Sara (Unstable)
Virya (Potency) – Sheeta (Cooling)
Vipaka (Post digestive effect) – Madhura (Sweet)
Effect on tridosha (Humors) - Pacifies Kapha & Pitta Doshas
Whole plant- 3-6 gm in powder form
(Please note that the exact dose depends on the age, strength, digestive power, nature of the illness, the state of the viscera, humors and disorders.)
The information provided is for educational purposes only. This data is not to be considered complete and is not guaranteed to be accurate